Thursday, January 4, 2007

Peoples english

There is an article in this mornings paper that our new Gov. has decreed that the government will use "regular" english and not the blasted jargon that they love to toss around.............
**CkN-A Charlie!!!! Now do you think we can agree that ENGLISH is our countries language and if you choose to live here....................YOU SHOULD LEARN THE LANGUAGE..................!!!!!!
Sorry.....really sore spot with me. I have been passed on for positions with our beloved state because they required a BI-lingual person. EXCUSE me.....isn't this still America? Didn't our ancestors make ENGLISH our language? The fact that people choose to leave their native country to come to our "Land of the Free" shouldn't mean that I have to learn THEIR language because "heaven forbid" they can't be included since they don't speak English...........................PARDON ME.........LEARN the LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!
When I lived in Germany for a few years...many years ago.........I learned as much of their language as I could so I could communicate with our hosts. I used to get angry at the soldiers that made remarks about how the German people should learn English so they could talk to them. ???!!!!!! DID you not see the sign when you got off the plane?? You are in THEIR country.....learn the language. The funny thing is that German school children are taught English as a second language.......why can't people do the same thing here?
If you do not make an effort to learn the language of the country you have decided to live in.....................sorry...............you will not understand what is being said and you can't get a job because my customers will be calling or coming to the office and they will be speaking ENGLISH.
WOW......got a little stirred up. Sorry if I offended anyone. If you disagree with what I've said you can leave a comment or you can stop reading this blog. Land of the Free!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I was under the impression when I took Citizenship in High School, one of the requirements to become a US Citizen was learning ENGLISH!
Dylan is in PRE-K and 2 of his classmates speak NO English. First off, How hard must it be for this 4 yr old child not to understand a THING they are doing? How terrfying it must be to this child. Secondly, It's not fair for MY CHILD to suffer because these children do not English.
This is a sore subject with me also. I live in an area highly populated with Migrant Workers. We have a very large Hispanic population and I, too, wasn't considered for a position because I wasnt' fluent in Spanish.